Monday, November 7, 2011

Milestones

After a rough weekend (fought an oral infection all last week, among other things) I went to the doctor this morning. I go see the cardio guy tomorrow. Anyway, since I was more or less downtown, I went and paid my fine for having a firearm without government permission. $120.00 total, but I'm still waiting for the legal beagle to send me his final love note in the case. Still, I got the pistol back for Matt, so that was something.

Anyway, since I was downtown, I stopped by the library to release the comments here, and it struck me that Rosey has been threatening my life over boxes of papers from the 90s. Something about a bonfire if I didn't move them elsewhere -- like "off the property or out of the universe" elsewhere.

Of course they contain all sorts of documents that Dr. Churchill was interested in from my early militia days, but Robert didn't have an archive I could donate them to. Anyway, so on a whim I stopped by the office of the head guy at the Birmingham Public Library archives and we struck a deal.

I'm going to donate all my papers from 1992-2006 inclusive to BPL. That includes my early constitutional militia movement papers, stuff from the clandestine Sons of Liberty and Deeswatch through the 1st Alabama Cavalry Regiment to the Tri-States Militia Network, papers from the private investigation of the Oklahoma City bombing, the clandestine operation White Rose against the neos, the Minuteman period stuff, etc. I'll get permission from some of the correspondents just in case they mind, but that'll be something on the order of 14-15 of the oversize file drawer cardboard boxes worth of stuff -- fifteen years of my life.

Not only are they going to take them off my hands, they'll send a truck to pick them up.

Rosey ought to be happy for a month of Sundays.

I figured it was better to take care of that project now, rather than waiting for the raid, the emergency SHTF evacuation to the mountain, or the bonfire.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a relief to know you have put the gun charges behind you.

Good job on finding a curator for your written works!

Finally, I wish you a speedy recovery from your recent illness.

Best regards,
MALTHUS

Anonymous said...

Mike;
Have you had them digitized ? It would be a sorry state to see them disappear in some contrived fire or some such.
Good health to you and Thank You for everything you have done.

Yank lll

Anonymous said...

I hope turning over those papers was a good idea, hopefully they will be respected and not abused.

I expect Morris Dees and Co. will be pouring over them in short order..

Do you retain any rights to them? Any veto power on how they are used?

Other then that I'm glad to hear things are moving along for you.

Anonymous said...

WOW, you allowed all those papers to leave your possession?

I hope you got some written assurances of their use, preservation and final disposition,
they could end up in a shredder or fire and they'd be gone for good.

FatCatNot said...

As Jefferson County, Alabama, just went into bankruptcy, maybe you need to reconsider placing the treasure trove with the Birmingham Public Library.

Does Shelby County have a decent library? Consider a University in Alabama.

You can also consider the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas. They are a depository. My mother donated material on the Crockett family and they were happy to get it. They have a good mailer that explains what all they take. Its really amazing. The Alamo is managed by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. I presume the Alamo has its own website. Check it out.

I would hate to see your stuff tossed by the Birmingham Public Library because of budget concerns.