Sunday, July 4, 2010

No sympathy for the Devil

Original caption: "Sits in Bill Clinton's box for USA game; USA loses. Cheers on native England squad; England loses. Brings Brazilian son to today's match; Brazil out, kid cries. Any other nations whose dreams you'd like to crush, Mick?"

"Please allow me to introduce myself. . ."

There are a number of folks observing this World Cup who have noticed that any team Mick Jagger has backed by showing up in the stadium to support has, well, lost. There are even YouTube music videos on the subject. The Brazilians, ranked number one in the world going in and trying to understand their loss to the Netherlands, have been particularly obsessed with the theory that Jagger was the "Angel of Death" for the hopes of their side. They were even before the game.

Mick Jagger and Bill Clinton show up to support US versus Ghana. Ghana wins, sending the US team home.

Personally, when the US lost to Ghana, I thought it was the curse of Bill Clinton, but then, maybe the Brazilians have a point. With the elimination of the US and New Zealand, I have two teams left that I'm rooting for: Germany (of course because my beloved daughter-in-law Nicole is German and I wouldn't dare do otherwise) and the Netherlands, ancestral home of the Van der Boeghs.

(The name means "man from the front of the boat" -- we were boatbuilders in Zeeland in the 18th century and the "boegh" is specifically the hawser hole the anchor rope ran through. Apparently carving out "boeghs" was our familial specialty. There are a number of people who still believe ardently that I am a hawser hole, or at least some kind of hole, many of them taking taxpayer paychecks from the ATF.)

In any case, I hope Jagger doesn't show up to "support" them in the remaining matches. Do I believe in the Devil, demon curses and spiritual warfare? Hey, of course I do. I'm a Baptist. God is not interested in the outcome of soccer matches, of course, but the Devil? I'll bet he's harvested more than one soul that way. Just sayin'.

"Please allow me to introduce myself. . ."

7 comments:

Witchwood said...

Speaking of curses, I hope the last decade of Jagger's life finds him completely impotent (for a change). It'll give him time to reflect.

Wyn Boniface said...

It was that Mexican ref at the Ghana game. Letting them grab people and not call them on it, or fake falls when not touched and take forever to get up. And so I cheered when Alex ripped through flooding the Rio Grande area doing what the border patrol would not, and I cheered when Mexico lost the World Cup.

I want Deutschland to win, but I rather have seen USA go further into the Cup.

And yes I noted the two loser baby boomers sitting together in a box at the games, but in the first USA game (one against England) did you notice the Gadsden flag pinned up with all the other flags? I thought that was great. Should have had a we are everywhere sticker there while we are at it.

Anonymous said...

Wyn:

That B&W image of a minuteman
with the "III we are everywhere" text would make a great stamp. Lots of companies can do a custom one, just google "Custom Ink Stamps". 2" x 2" is a great size...

It'd be great if we could think of something to stamp that would be circulated to a lot of people.

Anonymous said...

Mick used to be a "Street Fighting Man", but now he's in with the "In Crowd". Thats the story of us Boomers. Told my wife this morning that I'm ashamed of what we've allowed to happen to this land so gloriously born, but brought so low in only 200 years. She said we are the ones who can restore it. The Who said it; "We Won't Be Fooled Again". God bless you true lovers of liberty. III

Anonymous said...

"Sympathy..." was written with influence from one Kenneth Anger..a Luciferian and Aleister Crowley devotee who the Stones spent time with...the influences of Satanism have rubbed off with many major bands, scientists, etc. resulting in addictions, illness, and death. One can easily research the ties of "celebrities" and the resulting price for their curiosity into hedonism. Just some background on the song.

JimNYC said...

Beasts of satan followers were at the game. That is why US lost.

Anonymous said...

kinda like dissing ISRAEL, strange things happen